2.8.06

A dead kangaroo (Photo: Helena Hurme)

My friend Sarma took me to Victoria market in Melbourne. There I saw this dead kangaroo hanging on a wall. I do not mind, I only state a fact. I know tourists, especially Americans, who visit Finland are horrified that we eat reindeer meat, i.e. "Rudolph". I guess that for many Europeans, kangaroos are seen only as cute touristic animals as well. In fact, I had a meal with different game, including koala and buffalo, if I am right. Perhaps I even had kangaroo meat. The meal was one of the best in Australia.

2 kommentarer:

Anonymous Anonym sa...

Hello Helena, you no doubt ate buffalo and kangaroo, but DEFINITELY NOT koala. Kangaroo meat is served in some top restaurants and as meat for pets (cats and dogs) and is very lean. Emu and crocodile meat is also sold from farmed animals. Koalas are a little too endangered, and cute, for eating.
Dace (Sarma's sister)

3.8.06  
Blogger Helena sa...

Hi Dace,
I should have noted down what I ate, I realize. It is an intersting question of whether the looks of an animal should dicide it's fate. Someone wrote in a Finnish newspaper that one shouldn't kill those beautiful seagulls which, besides, eat rats! What if looks would decide which human being should be allowed to live? I think this is a very antropocentric view. Animals (including humans) kill each other in a constant fight and now we humans dominate and set the rules, but it may one day be brotosauruses, or snakes, for that matter!

6.8.06  

Skicka en kommentar

Prenumerera på Kommentarer till inlägget [Atom]

<< Startsida